[petsc-dev] MUMPS and 64 bit indices

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 15 15:42:44 CST 2014

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 3:16 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> It's possible to configure PETSc with the options
>
>   --with-64-bit-indices --download-mumps
>
> and compile and run, but it doesn't look like the MUMPS interface supports 64 bit indices. Should the above combination throw an error at configure time?

  Yes, there is commented code in the consistency check, I cannot remember why it was commented.

#      if self.double and not self.scalartypes.precision.lower() == 'double':
#        raise RuntimeError('Cannot use '+self.name+' withOUT double precision numbers, it is not coded for this capability')
#      if not self.complex and self.scalartypes.scalartype.lower() == 'complex':
#        raise RuntimeError('Cannot use '+self.name+' with complex numbers it is not coded for this capability')
#      if self.libraryOptions.integerSize == 64 and self.requires32bitint:
#        raise RuntimeError('Cannot use '+self.name+' with 64 bit integers, it is not coded for this capability')

> (On a side note, SuperLU_dist and Umfpack are flaky with 64 bit indices, which seems largely related to calling ParMETIS/METIS).

  Hmm, never heard such reports. Are you using the --download-parmetis and metis? You should be. Is it reproducible problem?  We'd like to fix it.

  Barry