[petsc-dev] RegisterAllCalled visibility

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 12 20:24:09 CST 2014

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 7:55 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
> Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
>> That is just crappy engineering on our part. The RegisterAllCalled()
>> should be idempotent just like PackageInitialize(). Does anyone
>> disagree with this?
>
> I'm not sure it deserves to be a public interface.  What is the use case
> for XXRegisterAll() called from anywhere but XXInitializePackage?

 I don't see any reason for it to be public; it's publicity is probably an historical artifact from before XXXInitialize() existed.

 It can probably be made private and all the XXXRegisterAllCalled flags removed from the code?  Plus the misleading text XXXRegisterAll() may be called several times could be removed?

 Toby,

  Since the only true way to understand something completely is to change it :-) do you want to make a pull request with these changes?  :-)