[petsc-dev] workflow diagram

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Apr 30 14:43:05 CDT 2014

Tim Tautges <timothy.tautges at cd-adapco.com> writes:

> FWIW, here's my version I drew when trying to grok the petsc workflow.
> Differences that jump out at me:
>
> - Jed marks features graduating from the branch, I mark them graduating
> from next

This kills parallelism because you can't get ANYTHING from 'next' with
getting EVERYTHING in 'next'.  We don't want that because 'next' has a
lot of clutter that we don't want, including other features that aren't
stable or might not even be accepted.

> - I mark a "deferred" change, whereas Jed discards features in next not
> graduated at the time of a release

Any feature in 'next' that did not graduate for the release can either
be re-merged after rewinding next (if it's basically good, just needs
more time to demonstrate stability) or discarded (false start).