[petsc-dev] 6-node wedge cells in DMPlex

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 15 17:50:38 CDT 2014

On 16/04/14 06:06, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> There is certainly a workaround. You give me the interpolated mesh.
> The only thing this code does is
> allow you to input just cells and vertices. Since you are using these
> elements now, you know the faces,
> so just use something like DMPlexCreateFromDAG() to input the fully
> interpolated mesh.

Yeah, I was afraid that might be the workaround ;-) It seems to me that
for a large unstructured mesh, creating the whole DAG would basically
amount to duplicating what the very handy DMPlexInterpolate() function does.

> The problem here is that if I allow faces of different shapes, I have
> to keep track of the shape of each
> face when I make it. This is possible,  and I have added it to the
> TODO list, but I think it will be a while
> before I get to it. If you want to try doing it, I would help.

I'd have to get more familiar with how it works first, and it probably
isn't top of my priority list either at present- I can continue getting
my code together without support for wedge cells at the moment. But at
some point I will need it.

Cheers, Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher