[petsc-dev] Why does configure need 30 minutes to remind me about --known-mpi-shared-libraries?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 4 14:55:02 CDT 2014

   What the hey is configure doing for 30 minutes before it gets to this point? On my machine it gets to this point in a few seconds, a minute at the most.

    Could there be some way to profile these “take forever for configure to run” cases so we know what is actually going on so we can improve the configure process for everyone who has these terrible systems?

    Could having shorter paths help?

   Barry

  How about having the first step of ./configure copy over the entire software stack of compilers, include files etc to a local filesystem (take say 4 minutes) and then run locally take say 2 minutes rather than this one hour to run remotely bullshit?