[petsc-dev] Why does configure need 30 minutes to remind me about --known-mpi-shared-libraries?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Apr 4 12:15:30 CDT 2014

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for details):
Must give a default value for known-mpi-shared-libraries since executables cannot be run

Matt, is there something consistent and maintainable that we could do so
that all the checks for issues like this run immediately, before
compilation tests, so that users can get error messages in a reasonable
amount of time?  Few things are more frustrating than waiting so long to
get a trivial error message, then start the entire process over again.

And/or, what about caching results so that re-running after adding this
flag would be fast?  (It scares me too, but I consider configure time to
be a major usability issue.)