[petsc-dev] testing before merging to master

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Nov 24 22:37:32 CST 2013

> On Nov 24, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> My reservation is that if you are not confident about the test suite
>> being complete,
>
>     Hanging around in next is not going to make a test suite magically
>     become better!!!!

No, but eager external users might trip bugs if there are any, versus
merging to 'master' where it would affect the stability-seeking external
users.  There are always unexpected things that some applications do
that are not in the test suite, though we should strive to avoid such
things.

>   Ok, let’s formalize this and you tell us how to automate finding the “TODO” list for these branches:
>
>    1) What is the format of the “TODO” list?  For example “Todo-before-merge-to-master: ….” ?

Sure.

>    2) What git command do I use to list all branches merged into next (but not master) with todo lists and what is in each todo’s list?

I would do two passes, one to find all the unmerged branches (that's the
alias you already have), then a

  git log --grep $branchname --first-parent master..next

and extract the TODO tag.