[petsc-dev] make all PETSc Fortran examples modern freeform?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 7 12:41:55 CST 2013

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > BTW: if none of the options are specified - compilers usually default
> > to 'fixed form' for .f/.F and free form for .f90/.F90.
> >
> > So perhaps 'FFLAGS=-fixed-form' will conflict with our .F90 examples -
> > so some extra check [to not run .F90 examples] might be needed
> > somehwere..
>
> Surely we don't need to make *.F90 examples work with -ffixed-form.

yes thats what I meant. [.F90 examples should not run when configured with fixed-form]

Also - I don't see a big need for users to install PETSc with
FFLAGS=-fixed-form or FFLAGS=-free-form.

The current default build is more univeral - and the users can either
name their sourcefiles .F or .F90 based on fixed/free form.

Satish