[petsc-dev] Running dsymutil in GNU make build

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 4 12:04:21 CST 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > I don't understand why 'MSYS' is viewed as a better alternative to cygwin.
>
> I thought it was because MSYS is "more native".
>
> What is the biggest obstacle to building Windows DLLs?

Wrt gnu compilers last I checked - fortran common blocks [requiring
dllexport stuff] was and issue. [perhaps gfortran doesn't have proper
support for it yet - don't know]

The other issue to fix would be gmakefile compile command. [currently
gcc/dll works with cmake build using --with-fc=0]

Wrt MS compilers - I haven't checked. [last I checked - I got bogged
down with cmake stuff - and didn't get a working dll]

The 'fortran commom block' stuff probably works with ifort [with the
required preprocessor directives]. Presumably txcorp and mic-tc have
patches for that.  The other issue is the build command to get dlls
with MS compilers [via gmakefile]. I think txcorp uses cmake and
presumably mic-tc uses MS project files..

Satish