[petsc-dev] Dealing with off-processor aij-matrices not having preallocation information

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 21 06:41:01 CDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> As the comment noted, this is quite a hack and actually breaks the current
> implementation for GPU matrices. I think that the problem can be completely
> resolved by not checking for PETSC_DEFAULT and PETSC_DECIDE in the MPI
> preallocation above, but just forward d_nz and o_nz to the sequential
> preallocation routine. This way, the logic remains in
> MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation(), where MAT_NEW_NONZERO_ALLOCATION_ERR is only
> set if the user provided an explicit preallocation scheme.

Hmm, the 'nonew' member is accessed in the MATMPIAIJ so we have to either
change the code to avoid ever using it from the top level or we need to
propagate the setting back to the parent. See also this discussion:

http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-dev/2012-January/007121.html

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/7827cd58