[petsc-dev] Reminder planning release soon

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 20 15:48:59 CDT 2013

  For some bizarre reason, most likely to confuse new users, the

  git checkout -b name

   means

   git branch name   (which makes a new branch) followed by
   git checkout name

Likely some allegedly smart person figured -b is short for branch so everyone will instinctively know that that -b means create a new branch. Of course to new users who don't know git they would never think -b meant create a new branch. The problem is that the developers of git have absolutely no taste in user interface design and likely consider any time spent thinking about user interface issues is wasted and just use the first stupid thing that pops into their head.

  Barry