[petsc-dev] Why does configure ignore compiler output?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 18 20:22:23 CDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> It was before that commit, as you can see that I just use the 1 that was
> already there.

Yeah, I see you just declared the default differently there.

It's also amusing that your name is SpikeGPU according to bitbucket. ;-)

> I think it was that compilers too often spewed a bunch of meaningless crap.

Why have the feature in the first place if it's never turned on? We could
delete a bunch of code if we just said "compiler output is always ignored",
which is effectively what we have here. None of the nightlies even flip
that default.

And, more importantly right now, how am I supposed to check for compiler
support in a way that interprets the following as non-support?

"/tmp/petsc-NZgbtU/PETSc.Configure/conftest.c", line 3: warning:  attribute
"unused" is unknown, ignored