[petsc-dev] PETSc-Cuda with gfortran 4.7

Nystrom, William D wdn at lanl.gov
Fri Mar 15 10:36:13 CDT 2013

Hi Asmund,

In petsc-dev, files with a .cu extension are compiled with nvcc.

I also tried the suggestion of soft linking an acceptable version of gcc/g++ into
/usr/local/cuda/bin.  I think I used a gcc/g++ from a compatibility package that
I installed with yum.  That did not work for me either.  I think the issue might
have been related to that version being in the ccache directory but am not sure.
The only solution I got to work was to install a new, acceptable version of the
GNU compilers by actually building from source and installing in its own location
such as somewhere in your home directory or in some place like /usr/local or
/opt.  Also, if you use the "--program-suffix=46" configure option, I think you
may also need to softlink gcc46 to gcc and g++46 to g++ in your install directory.
I could check that when I get home this evening as well as checking my build
script to make sure there is not something important in it to pass on.

For me, it took about about an hour to build gcc 4.6.3, once I had learned the
various things I passed on in the earlier email.  So you may have to just build
a version of gcc rather than using a version from your distro's package system.
BTW, what distro are you using?  I don't believe that nvcc uses gfortran.  It uses
g++ and maybe also gcc.  Also, there is nothing special about gcc 4.6.3.  You
could build an earlier version of gcc such as gcc 4.5.x or gcc 4.4.x.  I chose
gcc 4.6.3 because it was the most up to date version that was supported by
nvcc from the Cuda 5 distribution.

I'll write more from home this evening when I can check some things on my
system.

Cheers,

Dave