[petsc-dev] Increasing timeout for external package builds?

Richard Tran Mills rtm at eecs.utk.edu
Wed Mar 13 13:56:43 CDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I occasionally see messages like this from configure.py:

> Error running make on HDF5: Could not execute "cd /home/rmills/proj/petsc-dev/externalpackages/hdf5-1.8.6 && make clean && make && make install":
> Runaway process exceeded time limit of 2500s
But the only real problem is that I am building on a machine that is a
slow POS (and often is part of a O($100 million) supercomputer). 1) Is
there a way to increase this timeout on the command line?, and 2) if so,
could we have configure.py tell the user this option when it bails out due
to this time limit?

Thanks,
Richard

--
Richard Tran Mills, Ph.D.
Computational Earth Scientist      | Joint Assistant Professor