[petsc-dev] All petsc-dev users will need to do a reclone of petsc-dev on Tuesday or later

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 12 10:11:59 CDT 2013

Though, with the exception of the Jed/Sean types who know the admin-level details of git vs. hg, I'd say going from hg
to git is analogous to going from cvs to subversion.  For those domain scientists who have trouble even doing that, I'd
recommend graphical tools like Meld or Tortoise to ease the transition (although PETSc's directory structure makes Meld
especially slow).

- tim

On 03/12/2013 09:33 AM, Mark F. Adams wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2013, at 11:08 PM, Richard Tran Mills <rtm at eecs.utk.edu> wrote:
>
>> 1) Jed, what did you do to Barry? =) 2) I am am going to interpret the move from Mercurial to Git as a sign that
>> the End Times are indeed here.
>>
>> OK, seriously, I am OK with using Git or Mercurial: I think they are actually fairly similar tools and each has
>> pluses and minuses.  But what I do want to advocate for is that we please try to to keep some sort of Mercurial
>> access to petsc-dev in place, either by keeping a Mercurial repo around or by maintaining some clear instructions
>> on how this can be done using something like the Hg-Git plugin.  My concern is that, while I am a Ph.D. computer
>> scientist, most of the people I write code with are not (they are domain scientists), and the Git learning curve is
>> *steep*.  I have a hard enough time getting some of them comfortable with using Mercurial, and I see trying to do
>> the same with Git as a potentially hopeless task.
>>

> Richard,
>
> I'm in a similar situation with the plasma physicists in the EPSI project at PPPL.  They recently put their SVN repo
> behind the PPPL fire wall (I had to wait two weeks for a fob and take a 45 min. cyber security course) and that is so
> patently lame that I setup a git repo on bitbucket.org and they have been playing with it.
>
> They seem to like it and it looks like we will be moving over to git.  They are going from SVN to git.  A steeper
> climb.  These are not sophisticated users, as far as this sort of stuff, and they seem to be willing to deal with it.
> (Some of the more ambitious ones actually really like the branching mechanism is git.)  For the simple workflows that
> most scientist will use git is not much different from even svn.  And git is pretty good about giving useful
> messages.
>

>> --Richard
>>
>> On 3/11/13 2:05 PM, Barry Smith wrote:
>>> To users of petsc-dev,
>>>
>>> I promised more details on the planned change and why we are making them.
>>>
>>> The plan is to move petsc-dev over to the git repository system (remaining on bitbucket.org so no new accounts
>>> are needed) with a simple and slow transition from Mecurial and allowing people to change their workflows slowly
>>> and easily and NOT to drop a totally new system onto everyone at the same time. Thus on Tuesday we will be moving
>>> all the data over to git and providing access from bitbucket.org with BOTH hg and git, you will not need to
>>> switch over to git on Tuesday and in fact we recommend not switching to git immediately but continuing to use hg
>>> (on the new repository) until we have the git process documented and can help people with it. On Tuesday we will
>>> be sending out the URL of the new hg repository you should clone from at that time.
>>>
>>> If you are in the middle of a coding project that you don't want to push immediately send us
> [...]

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706