[petsc-dev] Add natural-to-global and global-to-natural operations for DM?

Richard Tran Mills rtm at eecs.utk.edu
Thu Mar 7 21:46:36 CST 2013

Continuing on my quest to be able to wrap all of the unstructured grid
operations in PFLOTRAN inside a DM: Would it be OK to add
DMGlobalToNaturalBegin()/End() and DMNatualToGlobalBegin()/End()? These
are currently DMDA routines, not DM ones.  We do something that we call
natural-to-global and global-to-natural operations with our unstructured
grid cases in PFLOTRAN (though I'm not sure if "natural" is quite the
thing to call it... I always think of that in terms of a structured grid
layout).  I would like to just call DMGlobalToNaturalBegin()/End(),
etc., on our DM, whether it is a DMDA or a DMShell.

I had already mentioned that I plan to add DM interface routines for
local-to-local operations.  I am thinking that global-to-natural, etc.,
also ought to be added, though I'm not sure if the concept of "natural"
ordering necessarily makes sense in some cases.

--Richard

--
Richard Tran Mills, Ph.D.
Computational Earth Scientist      | Joint Assistant Professor