[petsc-dev] can we get rid of SNESCreate_Test() now?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 7 08:44:34 CST 2013

On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:32 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>  can we get rid of SNESCreate_Test() now?
>
> I would be inclined to leave it in for this release, but have it output a recommendation to use the more featured -snes_compare_* options (which we need to move from SNESComputeJacobian to SNESSetFromOptions and add a programmatic interface). You complained about my use of "compare" in the name. What would you prefer?

   And merged with the  SNESUpdateCheckJacobian() which is not as extensive as the "compare" test but far better designed and much prettier code :-) Also could all that code be pulled out of SNESComputeJacobian() and put in a separate private routine called by SNESComputeJacobian()?

   I object to -snes_compare because it sounds like you are comparing SNESes, which you are not. Maybe -snes_jacobian_compare ?