[petsc-dev] Internal and external symbols

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 5 20:08:59 CST 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Yes, that has traditionally been true but has changed significantly with
> the latest release involving hidden changesets. Lots of care has been
> taken to scale to extremely large repos.

I'm not worried about repository size, I'm worried about having hundreds of
heads. Did all the normal commands (like hg log) change to only show you
history on the current bookmark? If not, the user has a very different
experience when a repository has multiple heads than when it has only one.

> Well, the work in that direction is all *me*, so no, it's not ready for
> prime time. Even after my second implementation, I see no need for
> namespaces as you describe them.

Put on your "maintainer" hat. You have many local bookmarks and would like
to pull from someone else while guaranteeing that none of those bookmarks
move. Maybe you don't even want to merge, you just want to see what they
are working on. They have many heads, some with bookmarks that match
bookmarks you have locally. Some might be able to fast-forward and others
might be an outright naming collision (unrelated feature), but you don't
want anything to move. Once you have their bookmarks, you can run fast
queries about the status of patches and can merge any that you want.

Without namespaces, you can't tell where bookmarks came from. The web page
recommends coming up with your own scheme, "namespacing by convention".
This doesn't make pulling any less dangerous and can be a mess to clean up.

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Bookmarks/