[petsc-dev] Internal and external symbols

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 5 19:37:33 CST 2013

Jed Brown writes:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>>    I have no idea what a branch is, nor even more a private branch is?
>>
>>    All I know is that branches in hg cause lots of arguments between Sean,
>> Jed, and Matt.
>>

> Okay, in mercurial, you have to fork the repository because it's confusing
> to have many branches in one repository. So you would go to
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev and click fork, wait for the fork to
> complete, then 'hg push ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/BarryFSmith/petsc-dev'. I
> would 'hg pull ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/BarryFSmith/petsc-dev', then 'hg
> merge'.
>
> In git, you would 'git branch barry/private-symbols', 'git push petsc-dev
> barry/private-symbols'. I would 'git pull petsc-dev barry/private-symbols'
> and complete the merge.

In mercurial, you'd do 'hg bookmark simp', 'hg push -B simp'. Jed would
'hg pull -B simp' and complete the merge.

The only thing missing from having an isomorphic feature set to git, is
that Bitbucket doesn't allow you to set a non-publishing repository:

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/4560/provide-a-method-for-setting-the-phase-of

Hence, until this bug is fixed / feature implemented, Jed will still
bitch about, 'I can't edit these changesets'.