[petsc-dev] meaning of PETSC_USE_EXTERN_CXX?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 5 17:49:12 CST 2013

   From the below I am assuming that PETSC_USE_EXTERN_CXX is equivalent to --with-c-support   Is this correct?

   And I assume that --with-c-support means that PETSc is compiled with C++ but does not use name mangling   Is this correct?

   If the above two are correct does the name PETSC_USE_EXTERN_CXX actually correlate to what it means? Could it be changed to something meaningful?

    Please explain,

     Barry

#if defined(PETSC_CLANGUAGE_CXX) && !defined(PETSC_USE_EXTERN_CXX) && !defined(__cplusplus)
#error "PETSc configured with --with-clanguage=c++ and NOT --with-c-support - it can be used only with a C++ compiler"
#endif