[petsc-dev] Copy *SNES-struct deeply

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 4 09:12:56 CST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Johannes Lotz <lotz at stce.rwth-aachen.de>wrote:

> Until now the checkpoint stays in memory and fits there well.
>     The problem for "just keeping in memory" is, that it may get changed
> before we reuse it. To make it safe that we recompute the same thing later
> on, we have to copy it.

Out of curiosity, are you developing a general tool or encountering an
issue with a particular application?

Are you trying to defend against an application that changes solver
configuration or an application that reuses the solver to solve a
completely different system (e.g., calls SNESSetFunction() and goes on to
solve something totally different)? In the former case, the usual
assumption is that you actually solve the system. (Anything else is
generally a very nonlinear operation even when solving a linear system.)