[petsc-dev] Deflated Krylov solvers for PETSc

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Sat Mar 2 12:54:34 CST 2013

On Mar 2, 2013, at 12:45 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2013, at 11:16 AM, "Mark F. Adams" <mark.adams at columbia.edu> wrote:
>

>>> An alternative description for the method in the paper is "two-level unsmoothed aggregation applied to the ASM-preconditioned operator".
>>>

>> Isn't this paper just doing two level unsmoothed aggregation with a V(0,k) cycle, where k (and the smoother) is K in the paper?
>>
>> It looks to me like you are moving the multigrid coarse grid correction (projection) from the PC into the operator, in which case this method is identical to two level MG with the V(0,k) cycle.
>
>  Well, its not "identical" is it?

My thinking is that with Q = P (RAP)^-1 R, and smoother S, then a two level V(0,1) PC (M) looks like: S (I - Q). (I think I'm missing an A in here, before the Q maybe) The preconditioned system being solved looks like:

MAx = Mb

with MG PC we have:

(S (I-Q)) A x = …

Move the brackets around

S ((I-Q)A)  x = ..

S is K in the paper and (I-Q)A is the new operator.  The preconditioned system does not have a null space and thats all that matters.

Anyway, I'm sure its not identical, I'm just not seeing it in this paper and don't have the patients work through it … and maybe I'm having a bad arithmetic day but on page 935, the definition of P (first equation on page) and Pw (last equation on page) don't look consistent.