[petsc-dev] -mat_view ::ascii_matlab ?

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:40:49 CST 2013

I have a SNES solver and use -mat_view ::ascii_matlab.

I do two SNES iterations and get three matrices output.  My formJAcobean explicitly forms AIJ matrices.  After the 2nd two matrix printouts I see:

  Matrix-free approximation:
    err=1.49012e-08 (relative error in function evaluation)
    Using wp compute h routine
        Does not compute normU

Are these matrices not my explicit matrices?  That is, is PETSc using my formFunction to create an FD matrix?

Also, all three of my matrices use the same name:

 Mat_0x84000000_0 = spconvert(zzz);

In the past I've seen that PETSc will increment these names to keep them unique.  Did we regress?

I would like to just have the output from these runs (with all other printing turned off) go directly into a .m file that I can read in to matlab directly.  This seems like the only reasonable way to use this, or at least a use case that should be supported, but these excess print statements and non unique names break this workflow.