[petsc-dev] Vector operations on ghosted vectors

John Mousel elafint.john at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 09:37:47 CST 2013

Let me be even more specific. I'm implementing a velocity correction scheme
in rotational form (reference given below). In the first step, forgetting
even a sub-iterative loop, a projecting pressure is solved for from

L(p(n+1)) = -div(beta*u(n) + gamma*u(n-1) + exci*u(n-2) + H(n+1) - H(n) +
f(n+1) - f(n))

Here, L and div are Laplacian and divergence operators, and H(n) and f(n)
are the non-linear and body force at time level n. In my mind, to form part
of the RHS, I can use VecAXPY on all the terms in the div(), and then
perform the divergence on that. To avoid communication, I can just use the
VecAXPY on the ghosted portion as well, which since I've copied the entire
ghosted vector during the VecCopy(u(n),u(n-1)) operation, should make sense.
Is that not a wise thing to do?

John

J. L. Guermond, P. Minev, and J. Shen. An overview of projection methods
for incompressible flows. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and
Engineering, 195(44-47):6011–6045, 2006.