[petsc-dev] Vector operations on ghosted vectors

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 1 08:09:10 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM, John Mousel <john.mousel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a possibility of adding a wrapper function around a few basic
> vector operations such as VecCopy, VecAXPY, VECAXPYPZ... to operate on
> ghosted vectors? I perform a lot of vector operations including the ghost
> region to avoid communication.

Can you explain the context where operating with local forms in this way
makes sense? Usually you would either be working locally, in which case you
copy between local forms (or purely local work vectors) or you are
operating globally in which case there is nothing to gain by applying
operations to the local form.