[petsc-dev] Who fucked up the repository?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 15:23:51 CDT 2013

I get this every time I try to push a branch:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false push -v --tags
origin knepley/pylith:knepley/pylith

Pushing to git at bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc

To git at bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc

 = [up to date]      v2.0.29 -> v2.0.29

 = [up to date]      v2.1.0 -> v2.1.0

 = [up to date]      v2.3.2 -> v2.3.2

 = [up to date]      v2.3.3 -> v2.3.3

 = [up to date]      v3.0.0 -> v3.0.0

 = [up to date]      v3.1 -> v3.1

 = [up to date]      v3.2 -> v3.2

 = [up to date]      v3.3 -> v3.3

 = [up to date]      v3.4 -> v3.4

   3d2e007..e4fc00d  knepley/pylith -> knepley/pylith

 ! [rejected]        v3.4.1 -> v3.4.1 (non-fast-forward)

updating local tracking ref 'refs/remotes/origin/knepley/pylith'

error: failed to push some refs to 'git at bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc'

hint: Updates were rejected because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote

hint: counterpart. Check out this branch and merge the remote changes

hint: (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.

hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Completed with errors, see above

If I remove --tags, then it works.