[petsc-dev] Experimental GNU make build system

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 6 00:29:15 CDT 2013

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > Is the gmake build considered working now, once we add --download-gmake

Perhaps we'll retain PETSC_DIR/makefile as-is and have a wrapper over
gmakefile - similar to the one we currently have over cmake's
gmakefile?

> > and proper detection for -MMD -MP?
>
> I guess we could convert this hokey output into a proper rule?
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hdkef6tk.aspx
>
> Should win32fe support Intel's /QMMD (same as unix -MMD).  It appears
> there is no equivalent to -MP, which is a hiccup when a header is
> removed (need to either remove the corresponding *.d file or 'make
> clean').

Since this is not critical for user builds - I'm not concerned about
supporting these dependencies on windows [via win32fe].

However I'll have to recheck FC_MODULE_OUTPUT_FLAG stuff [revert this
test back to raise-error].

Also we'll have to check the shared targets [on other non-linux OSes?]

I'm not sure if there are any other issues to check..

Satish