[petsc-dev] OpenCL 2.0 provisional

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 25 14:36:44 CDT 2013

Hi guys,

A couple of days back the Khronos group released their OpenCL 2.0 preview:
http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/

They pretty much extend their memory model, including shared virtual
memory for APU-like processors sharing CPU and accelerator hardware on
the same chip and also (try to) standardize an LLVM-like IR. As I was
discussing with Matt that the OpenCL compilation on the CPU is
completely messed up as-is, and considering that Jed played a bit with
LLVM recently, it may be worth targeting such an IR for our basic kernels.

Of course this does not solve the memory problems of NUMA and dealing
properly with the increasing number of memory channels...

Best regards,
Karli