[petsc-dev] Improving and stabilizing GPU support

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 19 14:12:43 CDT 2013

Hi guys,

now as the Paul's pull request for largely removing the txpetscgpu
dependency is merged to next, I will proceed with further improving our
GPU support. My ideas and TODO-list are as follows:

* Reduce CUSP dependency: The current elementary operations are mainly
realized via CUSP. With better support via CUSPARSE and CUBLAS, I'd add
a separate 'native' CUDA backend so that we can provide a full set of
vector and sparse matrix operations out of the default NVIDIA toolchain.
We will still keep CUSP for its preconditioners, yet we no longer depend
on it.

* Integrate last bits of txpetscgpu package. I assume Paul will provide
a helping hand here.

* Better ViennaCL bindings: The OpenCL version of VecMDot() will
experience a boost with the ViennaCL 1.5.0 release, the CUDA version was
fixed a couple of month back. Also, VecCopySome() will get improved in
order to provide better MPI performance (similar to what Paul applied
for CUSPARSE)

* Documentation: Add a chapter on GPUs to the manual, particularly on
what to expect and what not to expect. Update documentation on webpage
regarding installation.

* Integration of FEM quadrature from SNES ex52. The CUDA part requiring
code generation is not very elegant, while the OpenCL approach is better
suited for a library integration thanks to JIT. However, this requires
user code to be provided as a string (again not very elegant) or loaded
from file (more reasonable). How much FEM functionality do we want to
provide via PETSc?

Please don't hesitate to post other GPU wishes. Now it's the best time
for doing so :-)

Best regards,
Karli