[petsc-dev] seen on a competitors site

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 9 16:14:49 CDT 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Hm http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/ talks about 'instances' 'small,
> medium, large etc..'  Not sure what they refer to.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

The CC2 systems are likely most suitable for scientific purposes.

> [petsc at localhost ~]$ du -sh petsc-3.3-p6/
> 1.5G             petsc-3.3-p6/
> [petsc at localhost ~]$ du -sh petsc-3.3-p6/arch-linux2-c-debug/
> 639M             petsc-3.3-p6/arch-linux2-c-debug/
> [petsc at localhost ~]$ du -sh petsc-3.3-p6/externalpackages/
> 676M             petsc-3.3-p6/externalpackages/

I don't think the object files or external package source is useful.
Linux certainly doesn't need that stuff for debugging.  Check the size
of the shared libraries for a debugging build.

> I was guessing one would use 'ssh' to login to EC2? - so X11 over ssh
> might be useful? [perhaps not a desktop]

Yeah, I don't know many people that use X11 over ssh in that way, but
it's not much effort to offer, so maybe it's worthwhile anyway.