[petsc-dev] windows fixes.

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 3 12:00:08 CDT 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> I expect all these distros to have python2 available aswell. [and most
> will be installed - due to other depencencies]

No, the base install will not have python2.  It _might_ be required due
to dependencies, but all the major packages work with python3 now.

> And we might have to change '#!/usr/bin/env python' to '#!/usr/bin/env python2'
> in our scripts.

This breaks old systems that don't have a binary called 'python2'
(including RHEL5, I think).

>>    One day we will switch from python 2* to python 3*, just not yet.
>
> I was hoping to use RHEL as a baseline for our minimum python version
>
> RHEL5 with python2.4 has EOL date March 2017
>
> RHEL6 has python-2.7 [EOL November 2020]
>
> Presumably we can have code that works with both python3 & python2.7 when rhel5 is dead?

Yes, it's reasonable to maintain code that works for python2.6 through
python3.