[petsc-dev] make -j not supported? Why???

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 25 17:06:11 CST 2013

Parallel build prints someting like:

Building PETSc using CMake with 5 build threads
Re-run cmake file: Makefile older than: ../CMakeLists.txt
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/balay/spetsc/asterix64
Scanning dependencies of target petsc
[  0%] Building C object CMakeFiles/petsc.dir/src/sys/classes/draw/utils/lgc.c.o
[  1%] Building C object CMakeFiles/petsc.dir/src/mat/impls/mffd/mffd.c.o
[  1%] [  1%] Building C object CMakeFiles/petsc.dir/src/dm/impls/plex/ftn-auto/plexcreatef.c.o

<<<<<<<<<

etc..

Note: if you are building cuda stuff or have python < 2.5 - then you
are using legacy build [i.e sequential/recursive make] and see stuff
like:

libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/socket
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/socket/ftn-custom
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/ascii
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/ascii/ftn-auto
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/ascii/ftn-custom
libfast in: /home/balay/spetsc/src/sys/classes/viewer/impls/binary
<<<<
etc..

Satish