[petsc-dev] make -j not supported? Why???

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 25 15:02:44 CST 2013

There are 2 build modes - the old one - which is recurrsive make - and
does not support parallel build.

And there is a new one - based on cmake - which supports parallel make.

Our top level makefile supports both - and does not work with '-j'.

However if you have a cmake build - it does use paralell make. The
'-j' equivalent can be specified to configure via --with-make-np=
option or to 'make' with MAKE_NP variable. [Default is configure
autodetected value]

Satish