[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #154101] clarification of FP error thrown in VECNORM in 3.3 PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 22 18:02:05 CST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>     We will figure out a way to manage this. I am thinking a global flag
> you can set indicating you don't want these checks performed; then you will
> get back the previous behavior.

Would it be enough to have a flag per-object?

I don't like a global flag because it would have to be set collectively
(this isn't nice if you subproblems on subcomms and not everyone wants to
tolerate NaNs.) Note that to tolerate NaNs and bail out cleanly, a
reduction is required in places where it would otherwise not be.