[petsc-dev] Need mechanism to set LocalToGlobal mapping in a DMShell

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 13:10:54 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Peter Brune <prbrune at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The Set is the issue at hand;
>>

> I think he needs scatters, not ISLocalToGlobalMappings, as mentioned in my
> other email.

Yes, he needs the local to global scatters. Rich, I think the easiest way
to do this now may be
to define your data layout as a PetscSection (these are all local) using
DMSetDefaultSection(),
and record who owns which point using a PetscSF with DMSetPointSF().

Using this information, the DM will automatically construct a scatter
between local and global,
and the CreateLocal/GlobalVector() functions will also work right. This is
what its is designed for.

Does this make sense?

   Matt