[petsc-dev] Need mechanism to set LocalToGlobal mapping in a DMShell

Richard Tran Mills rtm at eecs.utk.edu
Thu Feb 21 12:54:50 CST 2013

Hi Jed,

The reason is that in the PFLOTRAN code we currently have some code like
this:
>   select case(discretization%itype)
>     case(STRUCTURED_GRID,STRUCTURED_GRID_MIMETIC)
>       call
> DMLocalToGlobalBegin(dm_ptr%sgdm,local_vec,INSERT_VALUES,global_vec,ierr)
>       call
> DMLocalToGlobalEnd(dm_ptr%sgdm,local_vec,INSERT_VALUES,global_vec,ierr)
>    case(UNSTRUCTURED_GRID)
>       call
> VecScatterBegin(dm_ptr%ugdm%scatter_ltog,local_vec,global_vec, &
>                            INSERT_VALUES,SCATTER_FORWARD,ierr)
>       call VecScatterEnd(dm_ptr%ugdm%scatter_ltog,local_vec,global_vec, &
>                          INSERT_VALUES,SCATTER_FORWARD,ierr)
>   end select
where in the STRUCTURED_GRID case we have a DMDA.  In the
UNSTRUCTURED_GRID case we have no DM, and I want to pack things into a
DMShell so that have a DM and the various DM calls work (and then I can
eliminate these 'select case' statements).

(Eventually I'd like to be using more of the PETSc infrastructure and
not even calling DMLocalToGlobalBegin(), etc., in the PFLOTRAN code, but
that can wait a bit.)

--Richard

--
E-mail: rmills at ornl.gov  V: 865-241-3198 http://climate.ornl.gov/~rmills