[petsc-dev] Google Summer of Code

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 18 13:48:37 CST 2013

Hi Jed,

 >     I've been org admin for TU Wien and mentored a couple of students in
>     2011 and 2012. It's a nice thing to make PETSc known in the FOSS
>     community.
>
>     In terms of raw code/functionality output, however, expect that *on
>     average* you need to invest more time in the student than what you
>     would come up with by coding it yourself.
>

> This is the nature of teaching. The goal would be to improve workflow
> and developer docs to make such contributions easier, and hopefully to
> catch the interest of people that might later become more regular
> contributors.

I don't doubt that you are aware of that, but others might not ;-)
The crux with documentation is that it is not explicitly allowed as a
separate project for GSoC, so it really needs to be a Summer of *Code*.
You can reasonably expect that the student takes care of documentation
for the code he/she writes, but you won't get much additional
documentation work done.

Best regards,
Karli