[petsc-dev] Forward declarations of types?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 15 16:33:11 CST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Why petsc-private/${class}types.h ? Why in the private directory. It is
> fine and harmless to include in the public part? plus it allows users to do
> the same trick and not include all the PETSc stuff in much of their code if
> we end up doing it in a systematic way?

Okay, that's fine. It could also be

include/petsc/${class}types.h
include/petsc/private/${class}impl.h

if we wanted to reduce the number of files in plain include/. This is
mostly relevant when someone installs with --prefix=/usr.

>    My feeling was that "regular" users could work with a PETSc install
> where petsc-private wasn't even installed and we just install that so that
> people can write their own KSP etc etc.  With this addition now
> petsc-private becomes required.

Anyone who writes a plugin needs petsc-private already, but I get the point.