[petsc-dev] questions on new include organization

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:17:32 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2013, at 10:56 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
> >
> > 1)  Can we move the section data structures from vecimpl.h to isimpl.h?
> in preparation for its refactoring and why is PetscSectionCreate in
> section.c defined in src/vec/vec/impls/seq?   Can vsection.c be split in
> two with the only the "Vec" related routines kept in the Vec directory
> >
> > All the above makes sense if you agree with this designation as an IS.
> Can we go over this again to make sure it is correct?
> >
> > a) PetscSection does a job very similar to PetscLayout, but Layout is
> not an IS
> >
> > b) The internals of PetscSection look like two ISes, and a list of
> embedded PetscSections. This does not sound like an IS
> >
>    Regardless of these two, PetscSection does not belong in the vector
> subdirectory and most definitely not  in the impls/seq directory, so even
> if in the end it does not become exactly an IS it more belongs in the is
> directory then in the vec directory

That is convincing.

> > c) I believe the claim will be, "I can always think of the output as a
> list of integers", however that is a very broad category,
> >     which also includes graphs, meshes, etc. Internally this looks
> nothing like a list of numbers, and the current queries
> >     do not just return members of this list.
>
>    a graph and mesh most definitely cannot be thought of as a list of
> integers since they contain information about relationships BETWEEN items.
> Does PetscSection contain such additional information?

Yes. PetscSection represents groups of numbers, and you can see the
grouping.

>    What queries "do not just return members of this list" in PETSc
> section? (That is queries we wish to retain anyways).

For example, you can ask "how many items are in group p?". This is crucial,
and the whole point of the structure.
I don't see how you can recover that information from just the list of dof
numbers.

    Matt