[petsc-dev] questions on new include organization

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:56:23 CST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> 1)  Can we move the section data structures from vecimpl.h to isimpl.h? in
> preparation for its refactoring and why is PetscSectionCreate in section.c
> defined in src/vec/vec/impls/seq?   Can vsection.c be split in two with the
> only the "Vec" related routines kept in the Vec directory

All the above makes sense if you agree with this designation as an IS. Can
we go over this again to make sure it is correct?

a) PetscSection does a job very similar to PetscLayout, but Layout is not
an IS

b) The internals of PetscSection look like two ISes, and a list of embedded
PetscSections. This does not sound like an IS

c) I believe the claim will be, "I can always think of the output as a list
of integers", however that is a very broad category,
    which also includes graphs, meshes, etc. Internally this looks nothing
like a list of numbers, and the current queries
    do not just return members of this list.

   Matt

2) matimpl.h really needs vecimpl.h?