[petsc-dev] A closer look at the Xeon Phi

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 12 19:43:54 CST 2013

Hi Jed,

 >         Which crossover are you referring to? The CPU versus GTX285 at
>         about 20k
>         dofs, but with only very small gains for another order of magnitude?
>

>     I assume it's the cross-over of Xeon Phi vs. Xeon,
>

> MIC is slower than Xeon by more than an order of magnitude at 10k dofs.

Tim was referring to the cross-over at >10k...

>     but almost all cross-overs happen in the 10k-100k region and are due
>     to PCI-Express latency.
>

> Why is PCI-Express latency important here? Can't the MIC code run
> entirely on the device?

Almost-all (OpenCL, CUDA). Native mode ought to be the exception, but
it's the OpenMP overhead which limits then. Single-core on the MIC is
not really an option either...

It would be interesting to play with a pthreads-threadpool
implementation on the MIC to see how much performance can really be
obtained for smallish problems.

Best regards,
Karli