[petsc-dev] Source cleanup potpourri

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 11 16:06:02 CST 2013

Hi,

I've got a couple of questions related to fixing some of the remaining
style issues:

* We have a couple of malloc/free in use:
http://krupp.iue.tuwien.ac.at/petsc-style/malloc-free.txt
Except for the actual implementation of PetscMalloc() and the like
somewhere in src/sys/, is there anything I have to keep in mind when
fixing the other uses?

* CHKERRQ is missing at a couple of places:
http://krupp.iue.tuwien.ac.at/petsc-style/ierr-chkerr.txt
I noticed that PetscPrintf() is hardly ever checked for the value of
ierr. Is this intentional? If yes, which other functions in PETSc should
not be checked for the return value in ierr = ...?

* There is quite some dead code around:
http://krupp.iue.tuwien.ac.at/petsc-style/if0.txt
Are there any objections (or even LOUD objections) in removing all
blocks which are older than ~1 year?

* src/contrib/markadamscolor/color.c is the only place using assert():
http://krupp.iue.tuwien.ac.at/petsc-style/assert.txt
Since color.c entered in the previous century and hasn't been notably
touched since at least 2001, is there any reason other than software
archeology for keeping it?

Best regards,
Karli