[petsc-dev] private branch of petsc-dev (fwd)

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 8 19:36:43 CST 2013

Satish Balay writes:

> Barry/Jed/Sean,
>
> Should we have a recommended method of handling 'private branch' for
> petsc developemnt?
>
> thanks,
> Satish

That would only be recommended if working in the same repo (e.g. petsc/petsc-dev).

> One way do this is [similar to the way we do petsc-dev/petsc-3.3 split
> work]:
>
> - have a separate petsc-dev clone somehwere as say petsc-dev-qlp.

Sure, I would say just fork your own repo on bitbucket.

> - you and Terrya will have a clone of this petsc-dev-qlp repo locally
> where new code gets added.
>
> - pull/merge from current petsc-dev to petsc-dev-qlp regularly [if
> this development has to be in sync with petsc-dev]
>
> - Only when everything is done/ready push from petsc-dev-qlp clone to
>   petsc-dev
>
> The drawback here is - the history of this work would be messy [with
> all the merges etc..]
>
> The other way is:
>
> - have a separate petsc-dev clone somehwere as say petsc-dev-qlp.
>
> - you and Terrya will have a clone of this petsc-dev-qlp repo locally
> where new code gets added.
>
> - *never* sync with petsc-dev until this work is done.
>
> - merge with petsc-dev when its done. [either merge - or rebase it over]
>
> The *never* sync with petsc-dev is a drawback for this.

You could just `hg pull --rebase`? Unless you mean don't push to
petsc-dev, then yes, don't push to petsc-dev until the feature is done.

If bitbucket would fix this issue,

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/4560/provide-a-method-for-setting-the-phase-of

then you wouldn't have to strip out the old changes manually. Perhaps, I
could give a tutorial on this workflow to Hong and others sometime later
this semester?

> Perhaps Sean/Jed will have better responses. [wrt bookmarks]

Unfortunately, until bitbucket fixes the above issue, bookmarks wouldn't
help that much.

> Satish
>
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Hong Zhang wrote:
>
>> Satish,
>> How to create a private branch of petsc-dev for me and
>> Sou-Cheng (Terrya) Choi to develop new KSP miners-qlp?
>>
>> Should I use 'hg branch'?
>> I tested, but got trouble on how to merge the branch back
>> to the default repo.

Erase the command `hg branch` from your vocabulary.