[petsc-dev] ugliness due to missing lapack routines

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 8 00:07:41 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    At build time the user may say I know this, this and this. Those get
> compiled in. They then use the built thing for a while and are free to set
> at runtime any of the other many options that were not compiled in.

How would they specify what they want to use? Hopefully using the options
database.

Inlining could then be thought of as an extreme case of profile-guided
optimization, in the sense that you run an instrumented instance of the
code to determine which decisions have been made, then recompile (mostly
just fusing the right things) and

> > Or are you just JITing and caching the result of the JIT pass in a
> "library" that you'll keep around for a while (maybe several separate runs)
> before it gets gc'd?
>
>   So yes it is JIT like, if you will. The point is that conceptually "JIT"
> is/can be a spectrum of possibilities and should be treated that way.
> Developers shouldn't need a different process or mindset because it is
> "JIT" or not.

You're going to have to annotate/teach/declare what should be jitted. My
JIT-based suggestion is mostly about using a special mechanism for
assigning and calling those chaseable pointers, so that they could be
resolved later using the JIT.