[petsc-dev] ugliness due to missing lapack routines

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:18:51 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I think we have all the facts on the high level discussion. Concrete
> proposals to be voted on:
> >
> >   1) Get rid of all function-like CPP things
>
>     Right now we can get rid of any CPP macro functions that can be
> trivially converted to C functions. The ones we cannot get rid of are ones
> that take "types" or block sizes as arguments. (these are used as code
> generation macros; generating a chunk of C code for each type).

We should work on eliminating those first. This is a good test of how
usable the code generation would be.

> >   2) Get rid of (Matt says) innocuous CPP things, like CHKERRQ
>
>    We don't need to get rid of them. These can all be swept out by one
> massive automated regular expression sed type operation when the time is
> right. In fact I should just write that now for experimentation purposes.

Yes.

> >   3) Generate full functions for missing LAPACK stuff, which will
> probably necessitate changing petscblaslapack.h
>
>     I don't see that this should require any change to petscblaslapack.h
> (though we may want to change petscblaslapack.h at some point for other
> reasons)

Okay, I will try and do this in a week.

> 4)
> #undef __FUNC__
> #define __FUNC__
>
>    Can all be swept out automatically at the right time.

Yes.

> 5)
> #define KSPGMRES "gmres"
>
> ?

We had this argument. The typedef behaves in a weird was with 'const'.

> 6)
> #if defined(PETSC_HAVE_SOMEINCLUDE)
> #include <someinclude.h>
>
>    I was thinking we could auto generate empty someinclude.h for these
> (putting in $PETSC_ARCH/include) Cheesy but ?

Hmm, that seems fragile. I would rather generate the header lists.

    Matt

7) Some other uses of CPP