[petsc-dev] ugliness due to missing lapack routines

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 6 23:09:38 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are right. All of petscblaslapack.h should be generated :)

Perhaps, but not in petscconf.h. I think rampant duplication is the much
bigger problem. If we only had one place to modify to add a new interface,
we'd be just fine.

Note that any changes to petscconf.h imply a _full_ rebuild of PETSc. Every
single file. In contrast, only about 30 files need to be recompiled if you
change petscblaslapack.h. Since configure is so hopelessly slow, be sure to
make the generator callable without running all of configure.

I think generating this is a waste of time. The real solution (that would
have saved millions over the years) would have been for LAPACK to always
ship with a lapack.h declaring the interface.