[petsc-dev] removing PETSC_NULL?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 6 19:35:37 CST 2013

   In 1994 NULL was a pain because for different systems it was in different include files and sometimes you had to do very nasty stuff like

#if !defined(NULL)
#define NULL  0

This is why PETSC_NULL came into existence.

Is the world a different place now? Based on the fact there are numerous (272 to be exact thanks to Karl) uses of NULL in PETSc today and they seem to cause absolutely no grief? (Except to Barry's tidy little mind) it seems PETSC_NULL is not needed any longer?

   If this is the case I propose we eradicate PETSC_NULL replacing it everywhere with NULL.

   Ok?