[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #149715] Making a PetSc Roll and Rocks Module

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 4 20:02:36 CST 2013

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Barry Smith wrote:

>   Satish,
>
>     I updated installation.html in petsc-dev to put a link at the top for package builders and also discuss pkgconfig and module files.
>
>     Could you please take a look at it, send me any corrections (if I misunderstand anything) so I can get back to these guys?
>
>     In particular what does PETSc use for the module file name if the user doesn't use PETSC_ARCH in making a package build.

If PETSC_ARCH is not specified by user - configure creates one and
uses it. It looks ugly for prefix build - but then - making one build
better means compromising somewere else.

- don't use PETSC_ARCH in the module file name [but then rely on users
to rename it when they copy it over to the appropriate location.
- don't use PETSC_ARCH in module name for only prefix installs.
But this becomes inconsistant.
- provide a configure option for users to specify a name for this modulefile.
[defalt always uses PETSC_ARCH]
- [others?]

BTW: I'm not usre if 'lib' is the correct location to stash module/pkgconfig files.
Autoconf install might provide options like --prefix --module-prefix --pkgconfig-prefix?

Satish

> [...]
> > Date: January 24, 2013 9:48:36 AM CST
> > To: "Schneider, Barry I." <bschneid at nsf.gov>
> > Cc: Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> >
> > Dear Barry^2,
> >
> > The major observation about the build process is that building the software so that it can livesw-
> > in a standard OS package is more work than it should be. Here is the standard "meme".
> > Suppose you have three directories:
> > sw-src
> > tmpoot/sw-install
> > sw-install
> >
> > sw-src: the source directory tree for building the sw package (eg petsc-3.3-p5)
> > sw-install:  the directory where one wants sw installed on the final system. We use something
> >                  like /opt/petsc/compiler/mpi/interconnect/petsc-version/petsc-arch
> >
> > the last directory is an artifact of the way many people build software for packaging. Instead of
> > installing into sw-install directly, you install into a tmproot/sw-install.  Then you direct the package
> > manager to grab all files in tmproot/sw-install to put in the package.  The package itself will
> > strip off the tmproot leading directory. In other words the package labels all files as sw-install/.
> >
> > So the build issue that I ran into is that the build directory and/or the tmproot directory path becomes embedded into a large number of files (include files, mod files, etc). To get around this,
> > I did a bind mount of (tmproot/sw-install --> /sw-install) and told petsc to install into /sw-install.  I consider that to be a "hack", but petsc isn't the only software that I've run into that requires this
> > mounting bit of legerdemain.
> >
> > Many software packages will support a dest=  or DESTDIR variable for "make install"  that supports the "installation" into a tmproot directory but leaves no trace of tmproot in any of its configuration files. (http://git.rocksclusters.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=core/python/.git;a=blob;f=src/python-2/Makefile;h=ced6cc1c6eb6a4f70dd0f3e1b0ccd1ac1e40f989;hb=HEAD)  shows a Makefile for python that supports this.
> >
> > Ultimately we create packages of software to simplify a number of things. Including update of installed software on many machines.
> >
> > The other "issue" is not really an issue, but a request. When petsc is built it creates a petscvariables (or similarly named) file with lots of environment variables.  It would be terrific if it could also create  an environment modules files with this same information.  Users often want different versions/different configs of the same software and environment modules is now standard in Redhat/CentOS distributions.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Schneider, Barry I. <bschneid at nsf.gov> wrote:
> > Barry,
> > I am sending this to Phil Papadopoulos and he can make much more precise recommendations.  Glad you have thick skins.  Being at NSF requires the same physiology.

 ng he learned would be available to you folks if that's what you wanted.  The next step for us will be to incorporate what we did in the Rocks distribution which will eventually propagate to lots of users.  Eventually, there will be an XSEDE distribution which will be used by an even larger number of sites.  We are talking about many thousands of users.  So, I guess what I am really asking is whether you are interested enough in what Phil learned to perhaps modify the current PetSc so that it is easier for users to install or make available the technology for folks to make their own rolls.  Of course, you could decide that is not on your agenda and that's fine.  But if you capitalize on our experience and your great software that would be wonderful and perhaps offer users alternatives to the current way of doing things that would make life easier.