[petsc-dev] Why --with-dynamic-loading?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 29 09:07:32 CDT 2013

Lisandro asks why dynamic loading needs a different initialization procedure

#if !defined(PETSC_USE_DYNAMIC_LIBRARIES)
  ierr = KSPInitializePackage();CHKERRQ(ierr);
#endif

Meanwhile, we use normal shared libraries (--with-dynamic-loading=0)
with plugins (petsc4py dynamically loads PETSc and the petsc-eig plugin
is loaded by PETSc and calls back into SLEPc and PETSc).

What is the use case that --with-dynamic-loading is intended to support?

Can we support that use case without having the configuration option?