[petsc-dev] Enabling single precision for MUMPS and SUPERLU

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:40:24 CDT 2012

Yesterday it was the first time I try to build a single-precision version
of PETSc with some external packages.
I noticed that SuperLU and MUMPS, which are currently fully compiled (i.e.
with scalar types s,d,c and z) by the configure, cannot be used when
requiring single precision at configure time. So I decided to wrote a patch
to enable their use when PETSC_USE_REAL_SINGLE is defined.

Attached please find a patch. Is there any reason for which you did not
already provide this functionality?
I tested the patch on BlueGene/Q and it works for scalar types real.
Currently, I don't have a complex version of PETSc installed. Can someone
test it?

I also noticed that UMFPACK (which itself does not have support for single
precision), is accepted by the configure by requiring
--with-precision=single --download-umfpack=1. Is it normal? It breaks the
final linking of the executables.

--
Stefano